Wednesday 9 October 2019

Shaving Foam Flower



Continuing on with techniques demo'd by Tracy Evans during her 'One Day Special' shows for AALL & Create on Hochanda, back in August, this example uses two of the ways Tracy showed for using backgrounds made with shaving foam.

One of them was to scrape a layer of coloured foam through a stencil, and the other I've used involves an old credit card (or similar piece of plastic) to scrape more of the coloured stuff through a circle cut in some card.




For those who don't know, to do the shaving foam technique, you spray about 6" square of foam onto brown paper, or something equally disposable and environmentally friendly. Then you use Distress Oxide re-inkers (in this case, but you can use sprays, too), and drop drops onto the surface of the foam. (I used Faded Jeans and Peeled Paint.) Then you use the end of a paintbrush to make a swirly pattern.

Lay your stencil on a card (I used the 'Lotza Dotz' #39), and smooth a layer of the coloured foam through the stencil and peel it away. Same goes for the afore-mentioned circle, except by the time I got to this stage, the colours had all blended together and green was the dominant shade.

I edged the circle with a Peeled Paint inkpad, blended on with Phat foam from IndigoBlu. I used Tracy's stamp set, 'Eclectic Stems' #199, for the flower and the sentiment. I stamped the flower with Versafine Vintage Sepia, edged them with green Koh-I-Noor Aquarelle watercolour pencils, and joined them with a green gem brad from stash.

The sentiment stamp was inked firstly with Brushed Corduroy Distress ink, lightly spritzed on the stamp, stamped onto spare card and then stamped over with black Versafine. I edged the sentiment panel with dark brown Chalk Eyes, and added some more grungy Peeled Paint.

I finished off with an old piece of string, but wasn't satisfied, so added some tiny dots with texture paste through the stencil on the circle and sentiment. Wishing now that I had also added some stamped numbers, or something else. Ah, well. You have to stop somewhere, right?

More of Tracy's inspiration to come!




No comments: