Friday 15 May 2020

My First Pop-up Box Card



Click on photos for larger images.

My niece, Laura, had her 33rd birthday recently. She has Downs Syndrome, and has a massive crush on Harry Styles. I say crush, but I think it might be the real thing; it has been going strong for at least three years now. So.. wanting to make her something she'd like and could keep, I thought I'd have a go at making a Harry-themed pop-up box card.

I have been wanting to do this for a while. Those I've seen have always looked spectacular. I don't like 'fancy' cards, usually, but I do think this particular style is very effective. One of my favourite guest designers on Hochanda is Janet Pring for AALL & Create. In February, she provided a fab demo on making pop-up box cards, and fortunately, I followed my instincts and recorded it. Hurrah! Great instructions, very simple to follow. Still fiddly, though, and I made a few rooky mistakes, and it took a long time to make. Hours. I'll do better next time. At least I'm not frightened of it, now.

Products used:

  • Photos from a Harry Styles poster
  • Black & white cardstock for matting and layering
  • Floral paper
  • Acetate strips 
  • Sizzix Thinlits die - Scattered Hearts by Samantha Barnett - Ref: 662599
  • Tim Holtz word die (Happy)
  • Making Memories rub-on letters (Laura)












No comments: