Saturday 7 November 2009

REMEMBRANCE & HONOUR..

Today is Remembrance Day in the UK when we remember all those who have served, and are serving, in our military services. I just wanted to mark the occasion, and pay my own tribute to those who have given, and continue to give, their lives for our peace. Thank you.

__________________________

I was raised in a military family. Both my parents were serving in the Royal Air Force when they met, and my father continued to devote his life to the RAF for many decades. He retired as a Group Captain, having been awarded an OBE (Order of the British Empire) when he was a Wing Commander for his service to our country. The photograph below was taken at Buckingham Palace after the investiture when he received his medal from the Queen. A week on Monday is the fourth anniversary of his death, and although he didn't die in a war, he gave his life in service nonetheless, and I am proud of him and what he achieved. Hope you don't mind my self-indulgence in remembering him, too, today, in the context of military service.
Thank you, dad.
My prayer today is:
Lord, please comfort those who are hurting through having lost a loved one in past or present conflicts, comfort and provide for those who have been injured in service, and bless, strengthen and protect all those who continue to serve our country, wherever in the world they may be, but especially in Afghanistan, as they fight tyranny and terror.
In the name of Jesus.
Amen.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great lay-out of your dad.Its a shame but the fights are never ending.Grazy WORLDDDD it is.
wish you a verry nice sunday,Lean.

Carol said...

Lovely post Chris, you must be proud. I had a little tear last night and today too for my Mum and Dad and although not war related, just for remembering them, we all need our Mummies and Daddies no matter how old we are and sometimes I really miss them. xx

Daisy Chain said...

Chris, this is a fitting tribute. What a lovely photo of your Dad, and what a wonderful person to dedicate his life to serving our queen and country all those years. I'm sure he's looking down on you and smiling, just as my Mum is to me.

Hugs Debbie xx

Allison said...

ditto- lovely post and fab layout- we did our 1 minute silence at the agility this morning and even all the dogs were silent
AllisonX

Lesley Edmonds said...

I echo your prayer Chris!

A lovely tribute to your Dear Dad!

Lesley x

Gunhild said...

Hi, Chris! What a lovely photo and layout of your dad. I think making a layout like this is a great way of remembering your father and honouring his memory.

Have a great week!
Big Hugs, Gunhild

PS. I will email you tomorrow :)

brenda said...

A beautiful tribute Chris.

B x