Friday 27 November 2009

Black Friday.. Who Knew?

I learned something new today.

As mentioned before, I have spent several blissful Thanksgivings in the US with different sets of American friends, but I never knew about Black Friday. I am only aware of having heard that term for the first time this year, and it seems to be everywhere! I mean, I knew about the start of the Christmas shopping season, and that a lot of people across the pond put up their decorations the day after Thanksgiving, but had never (knowingly) heard the expression Black Friday'. Had you?

Wikepedia suggests that it may be so called because it's when retailers go from being in the red to being in the black again!! Ha!

Hmmm. Should maybe make a card in its honour, huh?

Happy Black Friday, American cousins!

1 comment:

Lesley Edmonds said...

I've never heard of Black Friday before either! I'm just looking forward to starting in on my christmas music on Dec 1st - it's the first Day I start playing it!

My eldest is putting up his decorations on Sunday!!! Jack will be beside himself! I shall stave off putting mine up til nearer the time methinks LOL!

Lesley x